|East Timor||CLERGY ATTACKS CLAIM EAST TIMOR JESUIT REFUGEE DIRECTOR|
It has been confirmed that the Director of Jesuit Refugee Service East Timor, 70 year old German Fr Karl Albrecht was killed on Saturday night in his Dili residence. He was laid to rest yesterday in a simple ceremony.
Fr Albrecht had worked in social action for the Dili Diocese for several years.
JRS Regional Director Fr Steve Curtin said: "There are many great stories of Karl's bravery in the past weeks. A week ago at the height of the attacks he drove out of Dili up the mountain to Dare to bring an older Australian Sister of Mercy, Sr Ann Forbes RSM to a safer place in Dili pending evacuation to Darwin."
Meanwhile, Caritas Australia Chairman Bishop Hilton Deakin paid tribute to Caritas East Timor Director Fr Francisco Barreto, who was reportedly been killed by militia last week.
He said: "Fr Barreto, was a gentle and peace-loving man. He played an important role in promoting reconciliation. It is apparent that other East Timorese clergy have been killed. These murderous attacks on the Church are part of a much wider unjust genocide. When Catholic Church members, who have offered relief and refuge to East Timorese, are struck down, we realise there is no respect for any life in East Timor."
JRS & Caritas 12:38pm 13/9/99