East Timor     BISHOP WOUNDED IN ATTACK BY MILITIAS
East Timor bishop Basilio do Nascimento was wounded in the hand during an attack on his residence in Baucau by pro-Jakarta militias on Wednesday, Portuguese media reported.
    The bishop, who stayed in the territory after his colleague and Carlos Belo left on Tuesday, escaped and took refuge in surrounding hills after the militias set fire to his home, Portugal's Lusa news agency said in a report from Jakarta quoting church sources.
    Portugal's TSF radio said the bishop, who fled along with a group of Catholic priests, had been wounded by a knife as he sought to prevent the militias entering.
    Bishop Belo, who was forced to abandon his residence in Dili, the territory's capital, after it was also attacked by the militias, first took refugee in the north-eastern town of Baucau before leaving for Australia.
   
    Reuters 11:07am 9/9/99
 
         
 
 
  
TO RECEIVE DAILY NEWS ENTER EMAIL ADDRESS: SEARCH OUR ARCHIVE:


Catholic Telecommunications Home Page A meditation on Today's Scripture The people of Catholic Telecommunications Online Catholic News continuously updated Discounted Internet and Telephony products available to our clients How to contact us