Court appearance following Newcastle priest bashing
A 50-year-old homeless man was due to appear in court yesterday charged with assaulting a Catholic priest in Newcastle on the weekend.
ABC News reported that Monsignor Allan Hart, who led last week's prayer service at the Sacred Heart Cathedral for the victims of the Bali bombings, suffered bruising and cuts to his head during the attack on Saturday morning.
Police say about 9:30am a man forced open the door of the presbytery and punched the priest several times in the head and face.
He was charged with assault and aggravated break and enter, and was refused bail at a court hearing on Sunday.
Monsignor Hart says despite his injuries, he still went ahead with his duties that day.
"Well, I had two weddings and we've become very close in the preparation time," he said.
"The first one had heard about it, so I said to the photographer, now with digital cameras these days you can get rid of these bandages I had on - he said, 'we can do anything, Monsignor'."
Man to front court after priest bashed (ABC News 10/10/05)
LINKS (not necessarily endorsed by Church Resources)
Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle
Newcastle Catholic Region
Priest assaulted, man charged (Daily Telegraph 9/10/05)
Priest assaulted, man charged (The Australian/Australian Associated Press 9/10/05)
11 Oct 2005