Vatican liturgy body wants more Latin, Gregorian chant
Prominent in a list of 'suggestions' released yesterday by the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of Sacraments is more prayer and singing in Latin, particularly Gregorian chant.
Catholic News Agency reports that the document, titled The Year of the Eucharist: Suggestions and Proposals, encourages "familiarity of Latin, indicating its necessity, especially in housed of formation and in seminaries, for prayer and singing in Latin, particularly Gregorian chant".
The document, which has been put together by the Vatican congregation with the purpose of giving guidelines towards making the Year of the Eucharist as success, also asks that the tabernacle be conveniently located in a place conducive to private prayer.
Pointing out that the Holy Father asked particular dioceses to come up with pastoral initiatives, the document says it "does not pretend to be exhaustive, but rather limits itself to give, with a simple style, some working suggestions."
The Congregation "suggestions and proposals" include:
• Preparation of documents promoting the Year of the Eucharist, and reflection by priests and faithful local doctrinal and pastoral problems such as the lack of priests, low Sunday Mass attendance, and abandonment of Eucharistic adoration.
• Promoting national Eucharistic congresses.
• Encouraging knowledge of the saints.
• Increasing perpetual adoration of the Blessed Sacrament.
• Eucharistic adoration for young people around Palm Sunday.
• Dedicating space to the theme of the Eucharist in diocesan magazines, internet sites, and local media.
• Teaching the faithful to behave "properly" when entering a Church.
Vatican encourages recovering use of Latin, Gregorian chant (Catholic News Agency 14/10/04)
Congregation of Liturgy releases suggestions for Year of the Eucharist (Catholic News Agency 14/10/04)
Year of the Eucharist: Suggestions and proposals (Vatican Information Service 14/10/04)
Vatican suggestions for Year of the Eucharist (Catholic World News 14/10/04)
Pope says seminarians should know History, Latin and Greek (CathNews 22/4/04)
Vatican media official talks up role of Latin (CathNews 24/3/04)
Church Latin revival on the horizon (CathNews 27/2/04)
Ecclesiastical Latin (Catholic Encyclopedia)
Cardinal McCarrick Sees Mexico as a Learning Experience (Zenit 13/10/04)
4 Million Join in Pilgrimage to Virgin Mary (Zenit 13/10/04)
Prelates Visit Prisoners and the Sick in Guadalajara (Zenit 13/10/04)
Prelate Hopes Eucharistic Congress Helps Those in Iraq (Zenit 13/10/04)
Papal Envoy on the Eucharist's Guarantee (Zenit 13/10/04)
15 Oct 2004