Catholic News - Catholic Telecommunications, a devision of Catholic Resources


 


OPINION


FEATURE


FEATURED CATHOLIC WEBSITE

Student saved in blazing Catholic College


A student was rescued from a blazing university residential college in Perth after being trapped in her room by thick smoke and flames.

Firefighters used a ladder to reach the third floor room at the University of WA's, St Thomas More College, Crawley, and smashed through a bathroom window to pluck her to safety.

The American student, who suffers from asthma, was taken to Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

"We did not know the woman was in there until we saw her at the window," Daglish fire station manager Malcolm Knox said. "The first priority was to rescue her."

St Thomas More College is owned by the Archdiocese of Perth. Damage from the fire is estimated at $100,000 and it is believed the fire was started by a bar radiator. It is the third fire at the college in the last decade.

SOURCE – FULL STORY:
Sunday Times

30 Jun 2003