Philippine seminarians killed in rebel attack
A seminary rector in the southern Philippines has reported that two seminarians were among some 25 people killed on Sunday when suspected Islamic rebels attacked a remote coastal town.
Fr Gregorio Canonigo, rector at Cor Jesu Seminary in Dipolog City, said that two seminarians on a summer exposure program were killed in the pre-dawn attack on Siocon, 60 km further south.
Marino Acedo and Rhuby Mar Buagas had been assigned to Holy Cross Parish in Siocon as part of the summer pastoral exposure program. A third seminarian in the program as well as Fr Edmundo Layan and Fr Mamerto Dolera of the parish were reported "safe and unhurt".
Military reports say some 70 Moro Islamic Liberation Front guerillas staged the attack at about 2:00 a.m. on Sunday morning.
Defence Secretary Angelo Reyes told reporters yesterday that eight civilians, six guerrillas, six policemen and three soldiers died in the attack.
Diocese of Dipolog: Cor Jesu Seminary
Archbishop says Iraqi war has further radicalised southern Philippines (15/4/03)
Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines
6 May 2003