Prayer candles destroy Romanian monastery
A Romanian monastery has burned down in a fire started by prayer candles which were lit by a dying abbot.
The monk, who was 76, died in the blaze and another was seriously injured.
Maxineni Convent in Braila was 400 years old and had just held celebrations to mark its historic significance.
Survivors said Abbot Simion Ovezea knew he was dying and so he always had candles lit. The fire destroyed all three buildings.
Fire-fighters were unable to reach the monastery in time to put out the blaze because of the time it took to call them and its remote location.
5 Jul 2002