Boston Archdiocese suspends six more priests for abuse
The pressure on Boston Cardinal Bernard Law to resign increased on Friday as six more active priests were suspended on allegations of molesting children.
The revelations came just weeks after Law assured the public all priests known to have sexually abused minors had been removed from active assignment in the Archdiocese of Boston.
"As I have indicated," Law said on 25 January, "there is no priest, or former priest, working in this archdiocese in any assignment whom we know to have been responsible for sexual abuse."
Despite that statement, the archdiocese late Thursday added the names of six more priests to the two suspended on Saturday amid allegations of sexual misconduct with children. In addition, the archdiocese on Thursday forwarded the names of 20 more present and former priests accused of past sexual abuse to district attorneys in Massachusetts for possible criminal prosecution, bringing the total to 60. There are just over 900 priests in the archdiocese.
"These names were revealed in an ongoing review of personnel records," the archdiocese said in a statement. The review covered files dating back more than 40 years.
Prosecutors continued to complain, however, that bringing criminal charges would be difficult if not impossible without the names of alleged victims who would be willing to testify.
Archdiocese of Boston
Letter from the Cardinal 26/01/02