Catholic News - Catholic Telecommunications, a devision of Catholic Resources
 
  Powered by Freefind

 

Church in UK furious at Govt school admissions agenda


Catholics in the UK are outraged at moves in the House of Commons to force Government funded schools to make attendance at religious services optional, and to allow only 75% of the places to go to children of the specific faith of the school.

Archbishop Vincent Nichols of Birmingham condemned the House of Commons proposed amendment to the education Bill which would fundamentally change admissions procedures for faith schools.

The amendment, tabled by Liberal Democrat education spokesman Phil Willis and Labour's former health minister Frank Dobson, states that is shall not be required for a pupil in any maintained school to attend or abstain from a place of religious worship, to have parents or guardians who attend or abstain from a place of religious worship or for the child or parents to belong to any particular faith or denomination.

The amendment also proposes that schools can only fill up to 75% of their places with children of the specific faith of that school, leaving at least 25% to pupils of other faiths or no faith. Only if these extra places are not taken can they be opened up to children of the specific faith of the school.

LINKS
Faith school plans face MPs' challenge (BBC)

SOURCE
Catholic Times


8-Feb-02