Catholic News - Catholic Telecommunications, a devision of Catholic Resources
 
  Powered by Freefind

 

Venezuela Catholics condemn church bomb incidents


Venezuela's Catholic Church on Tuesday condemned a recent bomb attack and threats against churches in Caracas and ordered the capital's main houses of worship closed for three days in protest.

Interior Minister Luis Miquilena said police were investigating the incidents last week and on Monday at three churches, which he said were the work of "provocateurs".

Caracas Cardinal Ignacio Velasco said a small bomb explosion at a central church last Wednesday, which injured one woman, and subsequent bomb alerts in two other Catholic churches in the city constituted "terrorist acts".

Velasco said in a statement he saw in those events "a clear and flagrant attack not only against the church but above all against Catholic worshipers who visit these churches."

LINKS
Archdiocese of Caracas
Venezuelan Bishops' Conference

SOURCE
Reuters


2-Aug-01